Re: iptstate V2.2.1

On 06/21/2008 10:05 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Hi, all,

While I've been using Debian for about 4 years, I've been staying pretty much within the supplied packages.

However, now I find with Etch I need to install iptstate V2.2.1. The one which comes with the stable version is 2.1.1; while 2.2.1 is available on testing, I would need to install a lot of other packages from testing - which I would rather not do on a production server.

It's been suggested I try to install the package from source - but I'm not sure how to do that in this case. I can download the source and have the compiler installed - but what else?

I would appreciate any guidance here.

TIA.

First, you would probably need the build-essentials package

aptitude install build-essential

Then make sure that a 'deb-src' line exists in your /etc/apt/sources.list, so you can easily get the source. For example, you might add this:

deb-src http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian lenny main contrib non-free

Then you need the build-dependencies for iptstate 2.2.1:

mkdir ~/build
cd ~/build
apt-get build-dep iptstate=2.2.1-1.1

That retrieves the source files for the version of iptstate in Sid (probably Lenny too). This part may not work if the build-deps are not in Etch.

If the previous step works, you're ready to retrieve the source for iptstate:

cd ~/build
apt-get source iptstate=2.2.1-1.1

Then you would go into the source directory (probably ~/build/iptstate-2.2.1/), read the instructions and build the program.

When you configure it, make sure you configure it to go into /usr/local or /opt. Other places on the filesystem belong to other O/S functions. Good luck.