Re: off-line dictionary (gnome)

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:18:01 +0200
Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> wrote:

> I have the following in /etc/dictd/dict.conf:
>
> server localhost
> server dict.org
> server dict0.us.dict.org
> server alt0.dict.org

I have the same only that I commented everything but localhost--I
always work offline--although having them all present doesn't cause
any problem, dictd tries localhost first and the others afterwards.

On top of that, I think you have to tell dict where the files to be
looked up are. So, after installing the dict files you want,
you point at them in /etc/dictd/dictd.conf. This is what
my dictd.conf looks like:

access {
allow localhost
allow 127.0.0.1
# this allows access only from local host
}

# Database section here:

database  thesaurus {data "/usr/share/dictd/moby-thesaurus.dict.dz"
              index "/usr/share/dictd/moby-thesaurus.index"}

database elements {data "/usr/share/dictd/elements.dict.dz"
              index "/usr/share/dictd/elements.index"}

database foldoc {data "/usr/share/dictd/foldoc.dict.dz"
                index "/usr/share/dictd/foldoc.index"}

database freedict-eng-ita{data"/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-ita.dict.dz"
                index "/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-ita.index"}

database freedict-eng-spa{data"/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-spa.dict.dz"
               index "/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-spa.index"}

database freedict-eng-lat {data"/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-lat.dict.dz"
              index "/usr/share/dictd/freedict-eng-lat.index"}

database gcide {data "/usr/share/dictd/gcide.dict.dz"
                index "/usr/share/dictd/gcide.index"}

#include /var/lib/dictd/db.list

When you're done you have to restart dictd (/etc/init.d/dictd
restart).

> > It appears to me that the user interface of Dictionary 2.14.0
> > is in need of repair.

You may want to file a bug if it works after manually changing
the configuration file. This is the sort of things that people
get quite annoyed at.