Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 11:25 +0200, David wrote:
> But at other times I want to use the PC quickly for something, and
> waiting for fsck to finish isn't an option. The problem is, hitting
> Ctrl+C in the middle of boot fsck leaves your root partition in
> read-only mode, and the machine has a lot of boot problems, and takes
> a long time. I've tried this a few times this morning when I was in a
> hurry (reboot, ctrl+c during fsck, hit boot problems so reboot again),
> but in the end was forced to let fsck finish.
>
> Is there a way to interrupt the bootup fsck 'cleanly', so that it will
> remount read/write, and retry the next time you boot?

This isn't the method you're looking for...if fsck runs, you shouldn't
ever stop it.

> Even better would be a way to get fsck to run in the background after
> you're already logged into KDE.

After / is already mounted?  No.  Read the fsck manpage.

>  Maybe not to actually fix problems (I
> understand this is hard to do in r/w mode, while being actively used,
> for technical reasons), but at leat to flag them for the next 'real'
> fsck so they can be checked and fixed quickly then if they aren't
> bogus...
>
> Any suggestions?

Using hibernate instead of shutting down is probably best for home
systems.  Don't screw around with the mount counts/intervals.  If you
hibernate, you'll still be able to power off the machine when you're not
using it, without having to sit through potentially long fscks.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca