popcon mail confusion

Hi

I'm trying to work out what popcon is doing when it tries to email.

Normally it submits the results via http, but I guess sometimes the internet is down or something.

popcon has installed itself as a crontab.weekly job which is executed by user root, I presume, but I get a 'mail delivery failed' turn up in my user account, not in root. I checked the config for popcon and I can see how it is picking up my user account. How can it be doing that?

Secondly I tried setting up an MTA to accept the email from popcon, when it tries via email, and I picked msmtp-mta and configured it with my email provider settings, but I can't see how anything can pick up msmtp without some more config, but I can't see anything relevant in the man pages. Am I on the right track, and what is the next step?

Thanks
Adam