Re: silly little text problem

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:46:07AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> \\~\\ is an easy-to-remember way to force output of a blank line.

And saves a line in the source.

> It is good to know alternative commands, because in some situations
> one command works while another command doesn't, and the reason why
> one works and other doesn't is not always apparent.

Yeah, \newline sometimes doesn't work unless the previous line ends with
\\

> The command \newline is identical to the command \\ without the
> optional space parameter.  The syntax of the command \\ is:

I didn't find it was identical, \\ on its own on a line would not cause
a blank line. Then again maybe the previous line didn't end in \\.

>     \\[space]
>
>     \\*[space]
>
> in which the parameter space is the amount of vertical space inserted
> between the lines.  The *-form prevents a pagebreak between the lines.

So space is a variable? Integer or float?

> I learned of the command from my "bible" for LaTeX, which is:
>
>     A Guide to LaTeX
>     Helmut Kopka & Patrick W. Daly
>     Third Edition
>     Addison-Wesley
>     ISBN 0-201-39825-7

Ahh, Douglas's favourite book. For a scathing review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201398257/qid=931159822/sr=1-1/002-7129288-5319829

There are good ones of course. :-)

--
Chris.