webdav davfs2 and file editing

I am trying to get a working setup with webdav and davfs2 where I can edit files from a remote webserver locally. I can successfully access the webdav directory and files and mount them on my workstation. The problem I'm running into is that most of the time I open a file to edit it I get the following error message.

The file "/media/dav2/administrator/components/com_reviews/toolbar.reviews.html.php" could not be opened properly and has been truncated. This can occur if the file contains a NULL byte. Be aware that saving it can cause data loss.

This happens with about 60-70% of the php files on that website. Is this something to do with how the files were created? I can edit the ones I have problems with on the server if I ssh into it and use vi.