Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> If data=journal is subject to kernel bugs then you are saying that Linux
> doensn't have any filesystem suitable for non-UPS-protected systems.  If

Neither will be safe against that, unless you have write caching disabled OR
write barriers enabled, and working right on the HBA (host/port controller)
and disc/storage.

It IS possible that data=journal should be safer in theory for certain
operations, but I don't know enough about ext3 behaviour to answer that one.

> the devs don't properly audit the data=journal code then they shouldn't
> provide it as an option in a production kernel.

It is as audited as the data=ordered code.  It is less *used*.  If you think
this is even worse, you're right.

  Henrique Holschuh