Re: How to install a small graphic manager

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:24:21PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:00:42PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive.  Granted it
> > can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.
>
> Why can't this box run Etch? IIRC the minimal requirements of the Debian
> Installer is either 32MB or 24MB (for the "low memory" variant).

The installer needs 48 MB.  I did the drive-swap juggle from another
computer.  It takes Etch 5 minutes to boot, and about 30 seconds from
login to bash prompt.  X takes about 10 minutes to start and even icewm
with Xorg hits swap, and this with the vesa driver.  I get good
resoultion with the xf86-v3 S3 driver but v3 was removed from Etch (and
Sarge).  Aptitude hits swap very hard loading all the info on all the
packages in main into memory and causes the box to thrash.

In short, even if you get it loaded, Etch is a dog on old boxes.  The
box is rather zippy on OpenBSD.

Doug.