Re: How to install a small graphic manager

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy  gnome or kde on it . I want to
> install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> window . Any small WM will be OK.
>
> So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.

My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive.  Granted it
can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.

I use icewm on all my boxes.

If you only want to show one window, then technically you don't need a
window manager.  For convenience, you could have rxvt start then run
your app from that.  Set window size and position with --geometry.

Doug.