Re: How to install a small graphic manager

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:00:42PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:42:55PM +0100, abelahcene wrote:
> > I have a miniPc, can't install the heavy  gnome or kde on it . I want to
> > install a just graphic , in fact I want to use it , just to display a
> > window . Any small WM will be OK.
> >
> > So I have to install the system whitout X, and complete it with small X
> > later, I don't know what are the required packages to run correctly the X.
> >

> My smallest box is a 486 with 32MB ram with a 512 MB drive.  Granted it
> can't run Etch anymore but it runs up-to-date xorg from OpenBSD.

Why can't this box run Etch? IIRC the minimal requirements of the Debian
Installer is either 32MB or 24MB (for the "low memory" variant).

> I use icewm on all my boxes.
>
> If you only want to show one window, then technically you don't need a
> window manager.  For convenience, you could have rxvt start then run
> your app from that.  Set window size and position with --geometry.

Which is fine, as long as the app does not pop-up any additional
windows. Then things become strange.

For a single-application scenario, you may also run it on the console
frame-buffer directly (at least if it is GTK), I believe.