Re: debian sid & gnome

Dietrich Bollmann a écrit :
Hi Daniel,

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 21:21 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:31:16AM +0900, Dietrich Bollmann <diresu@web.de> was heard to say:
Hi,

Since weeks I can't update debian sid as apt-get always wants to remove
gnome:

  apt-get dist-upgrade
  [...]
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
  epiphany-extensions fast-user-switch-applet gnome
  gnome-desktop-environment gnome-system-tools k3b libavcodeccvs51
  libavdevicecvs52 libavformatcvs52 libavutilcvs49 liboobs-1-3
  libpostproccvs51 libswscalecvs0 libuim5 scim-uim
  [...]

As I couldn't find any mails from other users about this problem, I
finally wonder if there is something wrong with my system.

Should I continue to wait for some more weeks until finally gnome can be
updated again or is there some better way to proceed?
  What do you get if you run "aptitude -s full-upgrade"?  (this won't
modify your system at all)  If it suggests removing packages to solve
dependencies, enter "o" at the prompt to find out why.

A strangely different result:

  - it complains about gnome being broken
  - it doesn't want to remove gnome this time - but kde.
    (... apt-get didn't complain about kde at all...)

How can it be possible that two tools trying to do the same thing propose so much differing solutions?

I am not using kde for the moment - and wouldn't mind to deinstall it
if only I could be sure that the system still continues to work after
the update...

What do you think should I do?

Thanks, Dietrich
PS: I appended the output of 'aptitude -s full-upgrade' :

  Daniel

Here the output of:  aptitude -s full-upgrade

[snip]

Remove the following packages:
kde
kdenetwork
scim-uim

[snip]
kde depends upon kdenetwork (>= 4:3.5.5)
-> Removing kde

I believe "kde" is a meta package (as is "gnome") dragging all the usual kde stuff on your system , removing it shouldn't hurt too much as it won't remove anything except the meta package itself.. For the other two I don't know but I would try removing it manually and then re-installing it cleanly after the upgrade.

Tom