Re: KDE install issues

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 17:19 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Louis Cunningham wrote:
> > Kent,
>
> Let me encourage you to keep the posts on the mailing list:
>  1) others can provide input (and you need their input, 'cause I'm
> pretty limited in my ability to help),
>  2) others can benefit from monitoring the conversation, and
>  3) the information thus gets archived and becomes searchable
>
> > When I ran su  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, it cuts out half way
> > through the reconfigure, not allowing me to finish the reconfigure,
> > and stopping me after keyboard, how can i fix that?

I have sent this twice and have not seen it come through yet.  So, at
the risk of spam, here it is again.

You can not stop that.  This is the current correct behavior.  The
xorg.conf reconfiguration you expect is "old school" and now your X
would probably start with out even an xorg.conf file.  You could try
xorg -configure and see if that gives you a working video display.  If
it does, it will save a config file in /root.  You could then try that
file out like this: xorg -config /root/file. if it works, copy it
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

For an explanation of what is current in xorg.conf see this page:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12  A good read on what is
current. The method you expect to see is the "old way", the way we
learned, but is now defunct.

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser