Re: KDE install issues

On 06/10/2008 05:24 PM, Louis Cunningham wrote:
What happens is that the reconfigure will run, and then it will just stop
abnormally.  It is like the program is done, but it is not because I never
get to set my screen or video card etc.  This leaves my xorg.conf looking
like this:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
# [...]

You didn't say what distribution you are using, but I'd guess it's something later than Debian Etch.

For Lenny, Sid or Ubuntu Hardy, your xorg.conf looks about right. Unfortunate design decisions have resulted in "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" not doing very much these days.

It's almost certain that you'll have to do some manual configuration in xorg.conf. If you have a good xorg.conf from elsewhere (Etch?), you can probably use it. If that doesn't work, read "man xorg.conf" and see if you can adjust things to get it working.

I'm sure that a few of the hundreds of people on this mailing list will be able to offer you example xorg.conf files if that's what you need. (E-mail me if you want my Ubuntu xorg.conf.)

I recommend using the "vesa" driver until you know you've gotten Xorg to work. What I've done in the past is to install a lightweight window manager such as fluxbox and to use startx as a regular user--just to test that Xorg is working:

$ startx /usr/bin/fluxbox

Fluxbox is pretty minimalistic; don't expect lots of flash and dash, but it's very fast and demands so little of the system that, if it fails, it's almost certainly an Xorg problem--not fluxbox.

I might also suggest that you install IceWM, but IceWM has such a perfect balance of features and footprint that you'll probably never go back! That's what happened to me ;-)