Re: CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver

Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:

The  following helped me:

# cd /usr/bin
# rm gcc
# ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc

After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.

if all you want is to use gcc-4.1, how about using:
$> CC=gcc-4.1 make progname

I guess it will depend on how the makefile of the program to be compiled is made (I will be surprised if gcc is hardcoded into it).

Also, instead of fiddling with the binaries in /usr/bin, perhaps alternatives could be used (/etc/alternatives) to point gcc to gcc-4.1. Removing binaries from /usr/bin doesn't seem right to me.

->HS