CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver

I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my Debian Sid.
There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for example, rotating a
piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas near the cursor are incorrectly
painted. Their driver is up to version .05 so I tried to install.

Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel much more
recently than that!!  Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!! will produce and
un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will avail.

Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try will then
produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce execs. I tried 4.1.3,
gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the current version to no avail.

Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean will
probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes succeeded in
editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the same length but the gcc
is not in this string.)