Re: Getting network settings to stick

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 06/09/08 18:54, Walt L. Williams wrote:
Ooops! sorry. There is only one file in my /etc/network directory. It's called interface and goes as follows:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0

You don't need this.
Or more specifically, this line (allow-hotplug eth0) allows the first wired ethernet card (eth0) to be recognized as being plugged into an ethernet connection or not. As I understand it, this allows you to move your system from one wired Ethernet jack in one LAN (say in Building 4, Room 103) into another jack on another LAN (say in Building 27, Room 212), without manually restarting your network. It's really only useful for laptops. In my experience, it doesn't work very well, so I remove this line, and replace it with the line "auto eth0", which causes the interface to automatically connect only when the /etc/init.d/networking script is run with start or restart.

What makes you think the settings don't stick? Are you getting no IP address, or a different IP address, or what? If you're getting no IP address, I suspect it's the "allow-hotplug eth0" line, as Ron suggests.

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.5
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.0.0
	broadcast 192.168.0.255
	gateway 192.168.0.1
	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
	dns-search williams_home_network.lan

--
Kent West