Getting network settings to stick

Greetings

I have put Debian Etch on my laptop. Somewhere during the course of the install the IP address I assigned didn't stick. I have used the ifconfig command in an attempt to set it but the system doesn't retain it between boot ups. I have also looked at the file in the /etc/network directory but it has the address set in there. How can I get the system to retain the desired IP address?

Any pointers and comments will be appreciated.

Walt