Re: cdebootstrap error: can't install system

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:46:26PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 06/08/2008 07:32 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:53:05PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>  priority-important
>>>  -libtasn1-2-bin
>>>  -libtasn1-3-bin
>>> ---------------------end-------------------
>>>
>>> I don't know how to interpret that however.
>>
>> since that file hasn't been updated since 2006, I'd say a bug report
>> is in order.
>>
>> As I read it, it wants all priority-required and priority-important
>> packages except libtasn1-2-bin and libtasn1-3-bin. *I* would just
>> remove the libtasn1-2-bin line and see what happens.
>>
>> I would also file a bug report as cdebootstrap shouldn't fail when
>> you exclude a package that doesn't exist, IMO.

> I think I'll do that. Thanks.
>
> However, I don't think that's the core problem because I removed
> "-libtasn1-[23]-bin" from the packages file, and the problem still
> occurs. Here is the output:

a couple of things. 1) only remove the -libtasn1-2-bin line as the
other package exists. 2) I don't have cdebootstrap installed, but I do
have debootstrap. It mentions that trying to install sid from stable
won't work do to changes in the system. I would suspect the same is
true of cdebootstrap. You could install etch with it and then migrate
that etch install, or you could pull in the sid version of
cdebootstrap and try that.

> # ~/bin/cdeboot.sh
> + cdebootstrap sid /mnt/hdisk/sid-root http://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/
> P: Retrieving Release.gpg
> P: Configuring package libusb-0.1-4
> P: Configuring package gpgv
> P: Configuring package gnupg
> P: Configuring package debian-archive-keyring
> P: Configuring package apt
> P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
> E: Couldn't install system due to errors!
>
> I can't see anything that looks like an error message (before the last
> line).

in the world of unhelpful herror messages, that really takes the cake.