Re: PDF reader that overrides fonts

On 06/07/2008 11:52 AM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:25:10 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
[...] And the program "pdffonts" tells me that WEFAKP+GuttmanYad-Brush_00 and SWNCWI+GuttmanYadLight_00 are still embedded in the file.

Hmm, these two fonts are missing in the /NeverEmbed list that you posted
earlier. Are these fonts reported with the same names, including the
"_00" part, if you run pdffonts on the original PDF?

This is what pdffonts tells me:

$ pdffonts chapter1_exp-1.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
CHBAKA+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType     yes yes no      59  0
CHBALP+GuttmanYad-Brush              CID TrueType yes yes yes     60  0
CHBANO+GuttmanYad-Brush              TrueType     yes yes no      61  0
CHBAPN+GuttmanYadLight               CID TrueType yes yes yes     62  0
CHBBAI+GuttmanYadLight               TrueType     yes yes no      64  0
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT               TrueType     no  no  no      65  0
ArialMT                              TrueType     no  no  no      63  0
TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT             TrueType     no  no  no      74  0
CHBCAA+SymbolMT                      CID TrueType yes yes yes     75  0
CHBKLK+MT-Extra                      CID TrueType yes yes yes     33  0
Arial-BoldMT                         TrueType     no  no  no      34  0
CHAPKP+TimesNewRomanPSMT             CID TrueType yes yes yes     39  0

And this is what I for the -NOFONTS variety:

$ pdffonts chapter1_exp-1-NOFONTS.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1       no  no  no      16  0
WEFAKP+GuttmanYad-Brush_00           TrueType     yes yes no      11  0
Helvetica                            Type 1       no  no  no      18  0
F61_0                                TrueType     no  no  no      13  0
SWNCWI+GuttmanYadLight_00            TrueType     yes yes no      21  0
Times-Italic                         Type 1       no  no  no      17  0
HORPOV+SymbolMT_00                   TrueType     yes yes no      23  0
F64_0                                TrueType     no  no  no      15  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1       no  no  no      19  0
F59_0                                TrueType     no  no  no       9  0
OTBCZU+MT-Extra_00                   TrueType     yes yes no      43  0
CDVAZF+TimesNewRomanPSMT_02          TrueType     yes yes no      61  0
UCQZJS+TimesNewRomanPSMT_01          TrueType     yes yes no      69  0

I have meanwhile eliminated the need to generate the intermediate
postscript file and cleaned up the script. If you want you can try the
new version; it now accepts an output file name as an optional second
argument:
[...]

Let's hope Inkscape 0.46 on Ubuntu fixed it. The /moment/ I opened the file with inkscape, I could see the handwriting font was gone; however, I hope the letter spacing is okay. I can see that some characters are bunched together in my converted file--maybe those are words.

I sent the new file to Dotan.

BTW, I tried the updated version of your program, but the resulting PDF file produces a lot of errors when examined by "pdffonts," and all of the Hebrew characters are replaced by little squares.