Re: Homepage management system?

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:33:12PM +0300, Micha wrote:
> I am looking for some framework to allow easily setting up homepage for all the
> people in my uni lab. The idea is to setup some template that they can fill out
> as no one is getting around to it
>
> (A home page, publications page, not much more)
>
> Preferably I want something that can be setup in a user html directory and not
> run it's own server. That is either a program to allow the easy generation
> and maintenance of webpages based on templates or some content management
> system that is easy to setup and can preferably be installed and run for a user
> public_html directory (i.e based on php or cgi scripts and not it's own server)
> as it would reduce the bureaucracy of trying to convince the university to give
> us web access to one of the lab computers.
>
> I'm afraid that I don't have the time to design and write the template myself
> so I need something ready-made.

Would a Wiki fill this need. Once it is setup, the basic syntax is not
hard (eg. wikipedia) and would allow folks to get up some basic home
page and links to publication in an hour. And you could later add a more
professional apperance with a offical uni header with a logo etc. All
you need is a basic http server and a wiki engine which should be
relatively painless on any Linux server like Debian. You would
presumedly just ask them to install the wiki software assuming they
already had it setup with apache.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|