Re: Etch won't load after eight attempts

<david@zettazebra.com> was heard to say:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 21:12 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > I don't know what the problem is since I haven't used LILO since,
> > > I think, Potato (IOW, I think I was using Grub on Sarge).
> > >
> > > You could go ahead and reinstall and use Grub.  If you want to
> > > try to fis things, here's what I'd suggest:
> > >
> > > 1.	Boot the installer in rescue mode and get a shell chrooted to
> > > your system.  It will then be like the system booted.
> > >
> > > 2.	Use aptitude and install grub while removing LILO.
> > >
> > > 3.	Since the kernel install itself went OK, you may now be fine.
> > >
> > > 4.	If not, Grub may give you a better error message.
> >
> > I somehow doubt this will work. The installer probably chose LILO
> > for a good reason.
>
>   I agree with that.  It might be worth trying to boot in rescue mode
> and running lilo manually, though.  It sounds to me like maybe
> something went wrong with the lilo installation after the kernel
> upgrade.
>
>   Daniel

Hi, guys,

     I think that its worth installing grub.  If it boots as far as the
menu you can switch to the command line and do some checks, or edit the
menu entries before booting if they're incorrect.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.