Re: Re-configure x

On Sunday 01 June 2008 15:59, Walt L. Williams wrote:
> Greeting All
>
> I have recently upgraded my computer hardware. When
> doing the re-install of Etch. (I re-installed so I could take full
> advantage of the 64 bit processor I bought, so I reloaded it
> with the AMD64 variation of Debian; otherwise I would have
> just used the existing 32 bit install, which I am sure would
> have worked fine. Linux does a better job of this than the
> OS produced in Redmond Wa.) The install doesn't prompt
> for approval for the X driver it thinks it should install, it just
> does it, even in expert mode. This actually doesn't bother
> me, but I didn't get the resolution I had hoped for so I used
> the last command I knew of to re-configure X:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
This is now:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I know I've often had resolution problems with new installs on my Debian os's,
and have had to add HorizSync, and VertRefresh lines along with their
frequency ranges in the "Monitor" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Be carefull
with this though, and verify the limitations of your monitor, by booting for
instance with a Knoppix live cd, which gives a lot of info when booting,
about your hardware.

> My system is a 2.2ghz dual core AMD Opteron
> with an onboard ATI Rage XL video. The monitor
> is a Hann-G HG216D.  The best resolution that
> I can get currently is 1280 X 960 out of a monitor
> and graphics combo that is capable of closer to
> 1680 X 1050. My screen is currently kind of grainy
> and the whole setup is slow.  So I don't think the
> system is using the right driver.
>
> Any useful comments will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Walt L. Williams
> http://www.intergate.com/~waltwilliams/