Re: strange gs problem: unicode encoding problem with pdf (?)

Am Sonntag, 1. Juni 2008 schrieb Florian Kulzer:

> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> > There are two ghostscript commands:
> >
> > rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$ grep gs foomatic-rip.err
> > renderer command:
> > gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs
> > -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD"
> > -sDeviceModel="HP LaserJet" -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595
> > -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=842 -dDuplex=false -r300
> > -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:MediaType=0,Qua
> >lity:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7 -dIjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=- -
> > foomatic-gswrapper:
> > gs '-sstdout=%stderr' '-dBATCH' '-dPARANOIDSAFER' '-dQUIET' '-dNOPAUSE'
> > '-sDEVICE=ijs' '-sIjsServer=hpijs' '-sDeviceManufacturer=HEWLETT-PACKARD'
> > '-sDeviceModel=HP LaserJet' '-dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595'
> > '-dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=842' '-dDuplex=false' '-r300'
> > '-sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:MediaType=0,Qu
> >ality:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7' '-dIjsUseOutputFD'
> > '-sOutputFile=%stdout' '-_' rd@blackbox:~/tmp.nobackup$
> >
> > I put the complete output file (STDERR) to
> >
> > http://www.alzental-castle.de/~rd/foomatic-rip.err
> >
> > BTW, gs displays the pdf file as well as acroread or kpdf. Is it possible
> > that the problem has something todo with the hplip/hpijs backend?
>
> The error messages in one of your earlier mails show that you are using
> the Lenny/Sid version of ghostscript (8.62), but your PPD file seems to
> be outdated (it is from HPLIP 2.7.10; the current version of hpijs-ppds
> is 2.8.4 in Lenny and 2.8.5 in Sid). Maybe upgrading and/or updating to
> the newest PPD in the CUPS setup will fix the problem. (Sometimes it can
> necessary to remove the printer and add it again with the newest
> driver.)

Thanks for spotting this. This improved the situation but did not fix it yet.

A cupsys upgrade apparently does not replace the ppds for installed printers.
I "changed" the printer using the localhost:631 web interface and tried two
options (I also added a new test printer, but same result):

*NickName: "HP LaserJet 6P Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.4.2 - HPLIP 2.8.4"
*NickName: "HP LaserJet 6P/6MP - PostScript Postscript (recommended)"

And this brought a nice improvement:

foomatic-rip -v --ppd /etc/cups/ppd/hplj6p.ppd ~/tmp.nobackup/KKA-DKB.pdf >log
2>err

generates now a ps or pcl file (depending on the selected driver) in the "log"
file.

But still it does not print and there are a lot of indications to these 106
pages!

The pcl version goes into error the ps version prints the ps source code.

Inspecting the err file, I still see the 106 pages and enscript as file
converter:

file converter command: enscript -G -M A4 -b "Page $%|
rd@blackbox" --margins=36:36:36:36 --mark-wrapped-lines=arrow --word-wrap -p-
--> This document is DSC-conforming!

And for the postscript version this is in agreement with the "log" file

rd@blackbox:~$ tail log
(32934) s
5 94 M
(%%EOF) s
_R
%%Trailer
%%Pages: 106
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Times-Roman Courier-Bold Courier
%%+ font Times-Bold
%%EOF

The complete outputs (STDERR) of foomatic-rip are here

http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/err.pclbackend

and

http://alzental-castle.de/~rd/err.psbackend

> [...]
>
> > The file is not secret and I would be ok with sharing it to individual
> > developers (without any formal agreement), but I would not want to post
> > it unprotected on an web page. If you are interested I would send it to
> > you in a private mail or send you an URL.
>
> I would rather not receive any sensitive information. Can you generate a
> new file from the same form with bogus data filled in?

My bank is generating these PDFs for me. I cannot generate them with bogus
data. Not sure if there would be a save way to edit a pdf file to remove my
credit card data.

BUT, the data are not very sensitive. All web-shops I pay with the card have
the data. I just do not want to publish it on the web...

Thanks,
Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch