Re: KDE 4.1 beta 1

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> I just wasn't sure if I could compile it, without too many unstable
> requirements...
> I'm really waiting for either Kontact for KDE4 or this new replacement,
> Akonadi, whatever IT is..

Akonadi does not replace Kontact, it is systemwide backend for
all PIM-related data. Messages, address books, calendar data, etc.
are all stored and indexed by Akonadi. It can pull data from multiple
sources (IMAP, POP, remote ICS files, etc.) and aggregate them
behind a common interface, so Kmail, Mailody, kAddress book, etc.
only have to know how to talk to Akonadi.

The Akonadi page isn't the greatest, and is out of date, but the
diagram at least shows the idea.
http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers