Re: text file from Linux to windows.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 06:54:42PM +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:
> 2008/5/30 Russell L. Harris :
> > I speak of the days of Fortran-II running on an IBM 1620.  Back then,
> > it often was necessary to load the compiler (another deck of punched
> > cards) before loading the application.
>
> It must have been fun to watch someone play pickup 500 and put them
> all back in order again.

IIRC, each card had a sequence number.  I don't know if they had
card-sorter machines.

That was the thing, every function to apply to a set of cards was a
different machine.

However, I'm of the opinion firmly that the lessons and skills learned
in those times which became the mainframe culture gives rise to a
different type of sysadmin than unix does.  Even in the same company.
I've known IBM people and the AIX types are fundamentally different than
the (now) Z/OS types.  Unfortunaly, I haven't collected enough quarters
[1] from them to join the ranks.

Doug.

[1] from the famous joke "here's a quarter kid, go buy yourself a real
computer".