Re: dot in folder name in Courier or Dovecot [was: Looking for a decent IMAP server with hierarchical folders]

On 05/27/08 15:27, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> brilliant observation. :-) I can't wait to upgrade from this ancient
> Mozilla, once I get this imap stuff to work...
>
> No, I can't change the dots to underscores, sorry. Cyrus appers to be
> really smart about dots and change them secretly to charets, or
> something. Is it possible to have any other imap server do this the same
> way, i.e. transparently?

Escaping the . might work.  I tried it, from within Icedove, though,
and it didn't work.  Maybe from the command line.

> Would using mbox make it any better?

Depends on your definition of "better".  uw-imapd and (maybe)
Dovecot support mbox-backed-IMAP, so maybe that's the route you
should take.

>                                      Actually, I like the idea of
> maildir of having each message in a single file, even though I don't
> understand why maildir uses a dot for folder hierarchy instead of using
> a directory hierarchy provided by the file system...

The courier-imap list would probably have that kind of historical
knowledge.

> Cheers,
> Gordon
>

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 05/27/08 12:38, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a decent imap server that supports hierarchical folders.
>>> My first try was Cyrus, but that one is too pedantic when accepting
>>> legacy emails. Other suggestions were Courier and Dovecot with maildir
>>> storage format.
>>>
>>> Now I have lots of folders with dots in their names. And both Courier
>>> and Dovecot treat the dot as hierarchy separator. Frequently, domain
>>> names (as in mail.google.com) are used as folder names in my system, and
>>> these get messed up.
>>>
>>> Is there a way in either Courier or Dovecot to allow dots '.' in folder
>>> names?
>>>

>> It's not Courier and Dovecot, that are the problem, but that
>> *Maildir* uses dots as hierarchy separator,  Could you change the
>> dots to underscores?
>>
>> BTW, you seem to be using a 2 year old version of Mozilla.  Time to
>> upgrade!!!!
>>

>>> Cyrus has "Unix Hierarchy Convention", that appears to work well.
>>> With Dovecot, I tried to set 'separator' to '/' in the 'namespace'
>>> construct, but it did not help.
>>> How can I get this Unix Hierarchy Convention in Courier or Dovecot?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.