Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:25:56AM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 15:58 -0500, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso wrote:

> My understanding is that the FCC (which I believe has no jurisdiction
> over me, but that's another issue) regulations require the manufacturer
> to keep the source closed. Whether it works is debatable, and I agree
> with the principles of what you're saying, but my understanding is Intel
> is doing what they're required to.

The problem is that there are more people willing to change the source
code to see if they can get their wifi card to talk to their cell phone
nowadays than perhaps people a technological-generation ago willing to
study the IC card in a VHF ham radio, snip a diode, and get that VHF to
transmit on marine or commercial VHF bands.

Its probably a bit of willingness and lack of immediate consequences.
Source code looks so easy to change and revert.  People tinker.  Cutting
off a surface-mounted diode or something is more strongly a one-chance
deal with a real possibility of killing the radio if it breaks.

The other issue is cost.  If someone fries their wifi card, they are
relatively cheap to replace.  Previously, radio transmitting equipment
was rather expensive to be fitzing with.

Doug.