Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 15:58 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> There's actually a very real example of this in Debian, modifications
> of BMWs aside. The iwlwifi driver uses a firmware blob that Intel
> claims is necessary in order to enforce FCC regulations. This is
> ridiculous. First of all, it's not Intel's job to make sure its
> customers obey FCC regulations; if the customers break the
> regulations, that's their problem, not Intel's. Second, again the
> belief that security through obscurity is a good goal. Even with the
> blob, people can and will modify the software to do things such as
> disobeying FCC regulations. The blob only presents a temporary
> obstacle, but not a real solution to what Intel wants to achieve.
>
> Power to the users. If they break the laws, that's their problem. We
> don't need paternalistic corporations doing the job of law-enforcement
> agencies.

My understanding is that the FCC (which I believe has no jurisdiction
over me, but that's another issue) regulations require the manufacturer
to keep the source closed. Whether it works is debatable, and I agree
with the principles of what you're saying, but my understanding is Intel
is doing what they're required to.

Richard