Re: 97% use of / system

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/23/08 09:08, andy wrote:

Gabriel Parrondo wrote:

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 07:16 +0100, andy escribió:

<snip>

[snip]

As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.

Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
of disk.

[...]

Cheers for that.
Nope - parted shows that all drive space is present and accounted for.
But, there still seems to be a missing 18GB of HD when I run df -h .

Remember that, by default, df prints binary values, but hard drives
are measured in decimal.  So try "df -H".

Lastly, remember that df sees blocks, but du sees *files*.  So,
where du sees 3 files that are each 1KiB, fir a total of 3KiB, df
sees them as each using 1 4KiB block, for a total of 12KiB.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Thanks for that info Ron. When I run df -H the totals tally as expected! Thanks - I was getting a tad paranoid there!!

Andy