Re: bind9 crashing constantly in etch with no log output

I just got a new error message as well:

*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption (fast): 0x0813b5d0 ***
Aborted (core dumped)

If that means anything to anybody other than what it means to me, which is just that memory management isn't working right for some reason. As I said, I'd think it was bad RAM except that nothing else is having a problem.
   -Josiah

Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
Soon after I updated the recent SSL packages, I've had serious problems with bind9. All of my packages are up to date. I'm running etch on an Athlon XP1800+ with the k7 kernel, but I tried the 686 kernel too in case there was something about that, though it seemed unlikely.

I'm running a nameserver for a number of domains (30 or so). It's run perfectly for years and years until now. I get nothing whatsoever in the log file when it crashes. If I run it in the foreground with -g I can get some output, though it varies. Sometimes I get this:

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x0813cf40 ***
Aborted (core dumped)

That hex number varies, of course, and sometimes instead of "(fast)" it says "(normal)"

But usually I just get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

I can send the core files from /var/named to somebody if they can do anything with them.

It usually runs for between 2 seconds and 5 minutes before having this happen - it seems to vary widely, but it never stays up for more than a few minutes (right now I can't get it to stay up for more than a few seconds)

I don't think it's a hardware problem, since I don't have any problems with anything else on the system.

I downloaded and compiled the latest version of bind and it doesn't seem to do this - it runs fine. However, I haven't made it into a package yet; guess I'll have to go read up on how to do that, since it doesn't have a debian/rules dir in the default tarfile.

Has anybody else had this problem? It's very annoying :) Should I report this as a bug? Is more information needed?

--
Wm. Josiah Erikson
Computing Support