Re: 97% use of / system

El vie, 23-05-2008 a las 07:16 +0100, andy escribió:
> <snip>
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> My / partition is some 12GB and I see that it is currently 97% full. How can
> >> I clean this out without trashing important files? What should I be looking
> >> for in terms of likely culprits that can be deep-sixed safely?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Andy
> >>

> > try with this:
> >
> > # apt-get clean
> >
> > and then verify the free space with: df -h
> >
> > cheers,
> >

> Hello all
>
> Thanks for the slew of rapid responses.
>
> Apologies for not giving sufficient info on my partitioning scheme.
> Here's the scoop:
>
> / = 12GB
> SWAP = 2.8GB
> /home = 168GB
>
> No separate /var /tmp, etc.
>
> Having run apt-get clean / is now down to 56%. I suspect that the
> balance of the usage is in /var with different logs and mail.
>
> As an aside, I seem to be missing approx 18GB of HD space - this is a
> 200GB HD, but adding the values given above totals 182GB. Strange, and I
> cannot track it down anywhere, and I don't dual-boot, so unless 200GB
> was listed on the packaging as an approximation, almost 20GB have gone AWOL.

Run 'parted /dev/yourdisk' and in parted's prompt enter 'print'.
It will tell you where each partition begins and ends. There might be
empty (unpartitioned) space between partitions or at the end/beginning
of disk.

[...]

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."