Re: problems installing openoffice.org in etch

On 05/20/2008 09:51 AM, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 17:56:24 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 16:38:13 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 15:01:49 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 14:02:44 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for the advice. However, I am still having the same problem: 'aptitude remove --purge <package>' does not fix the problem. The problem with the unmet dependencies

libstlport4.6c2
libservlet2.3-java
libxt-java
libmdbtools
libportaudio0

[...]

Hi! follows a copy of my /etc/apt/sources.list file. Just in case, I am using the amd64 port of etch...

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
That should work; this mirror has the .deb file right here:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/stlport4.6/libstlport4.6c2_4.6.2-3_amd64.deb

What happens if you run "aptitude update"? Are there any error messages?

Here it is, no error messages:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude update

[ lines not pertaining to http.us.debian.org removed ]

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages

That does look OK indeed. Do you now see the package available with
"apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2"?

Hi Florian,

here is the output. The package is still missing:

marcelo@nostromo2:~$ apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2
libstlport4.6c2:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:
     4.6.2-3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

What about installing libstlport4.6c2 by hand? downloading the .deb file and using dpkg -i? of course, I will have to care about dependences by hand too. Does this make sense?

You shouldn't have to do that.

I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic, it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I don't know...

thanks a lot for your time!

Something seems to be broken with your apt system. Please don't muss your system on my account, but I would delete (or move) everything in /var/cache/apt/* . Those things should be recreated by the next "aptitude update" (and possibly "apt-file update").

The way I see it, you've performed all the steps necessary to get libstlport4.6c2 recognized by apt-get as an installation option, so something must be wrong with apt.

Do this:

cd /var/cache/apt
mkdir /var/trash.d
mv /var/cache/apt/* /var/trash.d/
aptitude update

Then do the "apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2" again. The package should appear this time. If not, I'm mystified.