Re: problems installing openoffice.org in etch

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:51:17 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>>> Here it is, no error messages:
>>>
>>> marcelo@nostromo2:~$ sudo aptitude update
>>
>> [ lines not pertaining to http.us.debian.org removed ]
>>
>>> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
>>> Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
>>
>> That does look OK indeed. Do you now see the package available with
>> "apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2"?
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> here is the output. The package is still missing:
>
> marcelo@nostromo2:~$ apt-cache policy libstlport4.6c2
> libstlport4.6c2:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: (none)
>   Version table:
>      4.6.2-3 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> What about installing libstlport4.6c2 by hand? downloading the .deb file
> and using dpkg -i? of course, I will have to care about dependences by
> hand too. Does this make sense?

That is possible, but it will be a lot of work to download all the
dependencies (and the dependencies of the dependencies, etc.) yourself.

> I use synaptic for installing packages. Yesterday, when I ran synaptic,
> it complained about a dependence problem, asking to use "Fix broken
> packages" before installing anything. After that, the problem with the
> installation of openoffice begun. May be both things are related? I
> don't know...

I would like to know how long the Packages file for http.us.debian.org
is on your system. Please post the output of:

ls -lh /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Also, you can check if this file lists the libstlport4.6c2 package:

grep -A7 '^Package: libstlport4.6c2' /var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages

Other things you can try:

Maybe there is a problem with the Packages file on your computer and it
does not get corrected because apt(itude) only downloads the index file
diffs by default. You can force a new download of the whole Packages
file with this:

aptitude -o Acquire::PDiffs=false update

(This will download several MB, so it might take a while depending on
 your network connection.)

If all else fails, try another mirror.

          Florian   |