Re: X gets killed immediately after successful graphical logon

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 22:46, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net>
wrote:
> >> I wonder how to debug this further ...?
> >
> >  If you are logging in successfully, then error messages are
> > being sent to the ".xsession-errors" file in your home directory --
> > check there for more clues.
>
> It is empty:
>
> % ls -ltra
> [...]
> -rw-------  1 udippel udippel        0 2008-05-15 10:39 .xsession-errors
> -rw-------  1 udippel udippel      245 2008-05-15 10:39 .Xauthority
>
> >  Also, the default start-up runs the ".xsession" file in your
> > home directory, if it exists and has appropriate permissions.
> > Try removing/renaming that.
>
> No change, I deleted it. It contained:
>
> exec esd &
> exec /usr/bin/startxfce4

  If a new user has the same problem, then it's probably a fault
in the system.  It's after log-in, but the errors don't show up
in .xsession-errors.

  This means it's in a very narrow window, probably one or more
of the start-up scripts in /etc/kde3/kdm.  I forget which of Xstartup
or Xsession is run as the user, but it's probably one of those two.

  They're shell scripts, so one thing to try is to put "set -x"
in both of them, so they'll echo their output, and watch what
happens.

  It's also possible that it's somehow running the startup
scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d, and not writing errors to
.xsession-error, so you might double-check those, but I think
that's unlikely.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net