Re: X gets killed immediately after successful graphical logon

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 07:47, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> I can't get into any of my sessions, whatever I do.
> The machine starts up and shows kdm, as it has been doing for some years.
> Only, whenever I logon, as any user, or any session (kde, gnome,
> xfce), it starts, then some scrambling of the screen, and back I am at
> login applet.
> The only one that works is Failsafe.
> Therefore, it can't be a problem of a wrong password; it rather looks
> like any X session started after the successful logon must have some
> setting that kills X.
> Unfortunately, the Xorg.log does not show anything extraordinary.
> I wonder how to debug this further ...?

  If you are logging in successfully, then error messages are
being sent to the ".xsession-errors" file in your home directory --
check there for more clues.

  Also, the default start-up runs the ".xsession" file in your
home directory, if it exists and has appropriate permissions.
Try removing/renaming that.

					-- A.

> Please, Cc: to me in case of answers; due to the traffic on this list
  Gotcha, although I nearly missed this.

					-- A, again.

Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net