Re: X gets killed immediately after successful graphical logon

Uwe Dippel wrote:
I can't get into any of my sessions, whatever I do.

The machine starts up and shows kdm, as it has been doing for some years.
Only, whenever I logon, as any user, or any session (kde, gnome,
xfce), it starts, then some scrambling of the screen, and back I am at
login applet.
The only one that works is Failsafe.
Therefore, it can't be a problem of a wrong password; it rather looks
like any X session started after the successful logon must have some
setting that kills X.
Unfortunately, the Xorg.log does not show anything extraordinary.

I wonder how to debug this further ...?

Uwe

Please, Cc: to me in case of answers; due to the traffic on this list

Make a new user, log in as that user. Alternatively, rename a user /home/dir, log in as that user and let it rebuild your profile from /etc/skel. If you can then log in, you have a bad file in your home dirs. No idea what though. If it works, that would give you at least to log on, move over required data and start again.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com