Mouse click acting strange after Lenny updates

Hi Folks. I found I hadn't updated my Lenny install for nearly 2 months, and
after a 3 day dialup session in downloading, and installing 800Mb of updates,
the mouse has started to act a bit strange.

It was ok after the updates, but after a reboot, and logging in to KDE, If I
click on a desktop icon, it turns blue, (much as it does on other distros
where you have to double click, and only click once). If I double click an
icon now on Lenny, it opens 2 instances, of for example a terminal. If I
click, hold for a moment, then release, again it opens 2 instances of an app.

I had a good look in K control, but nothing jumped out, as to what I coul;d
change to get the old behaviour back.

I can still single click on the panel, for instance on the home icon, and the
file manager opens (only one instance of it). The problem behaviour appears
to be limited to the actual desktop, and anything (file manager for example)
that is open on it. Saying that though, I've just opened mhWaveedit (again 2
instances opened), but all the control buttons work ok on it, with just a
single click (the normal behaviour). By contrast the file, and edit buttons
do not display the drop down menu. A single click gives only a quick flash of
the menu, but if I click, and hold, the menu displays, and I can slide the
mouse pointer down the menu to a specific item, and releasing the mouse
results in the action selected.

Anyone know how I might fix the problem?

Thanks.

Nigel.