Re: 64bit vs i386

Thanks for the reply-

> I've got a 64 bit server that will be a standard debian LAMP and
> wondering if it makes a difference if I install the 64bit version of the
> debian vs the i386 version of debian?
> If it's just running apache, perl, and php what are the benefits and

Where's the database?  (Did you simply forget to mention it, or is
this really a LAP - Linux, Apache, PHP - system?)

The (M) MySQL is on a different server - so it is a LAP though php and perl will be making mysql calls

> drawbacks of both?

Yes, but does it "just" have 8GB RAM?  Is the database 2TB?  Are you
expecting 500 hits per day, or 500 hits/second?

Yea just 8 GB RAM =o
The database is a couple gigs
I'd guess 10 to 20 hits / second though I'm probably off

Anyway, it's 2008.  Install amd64 and be done with it...

Sounds like there's not that big of an issue here so I'll take your advice and go with the 64 bit version.

Thanks,

Abraham

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.