Re: 64bit vs i386

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:45:48AM -0700, Abraham Chaffin wrote:

> wondering if it makes a difference if I install the 64bit version of
> the debian vs the i386 version of debian? If it's just running apache,

You will pay a performance penalty if you run 32-bit on a 64-bit system.
You may also not be able to access all your RAM, or will access it less
efficiently (assuming you're using more than 4GB, of course).

Most of the downsides of 64-bit are in end-user applications like
browser plugins and such, but you can always run them 32-bit under AMD64
anyway with the help of ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk, or under a 32-bit
chroot.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"