Re: vmware questions

John O Laoi wrote:

Hi,

I am running debian etch on a dell laptop which is dual boot with XP.

I rarely, if ever, use XP.

However, I now need to use an application, as part of a course I am doing,

which only runs on Windows.

So, I've decided to put vmware on etch and run XP from that.

(I know about WINE, but I'd prefer to go the vmware route, as I want to get familiar with vmware.)

I've googled and seen some articles on installing vmware-server and vmware-tools.

My work has a vmware image of XP which I can use.

(We also have a vmware licence.)

However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by

(1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers etc. for my hardware.)

(2) putting that vmware image on etch

(3) install vmware on etch

(4) reformat the XP partitions, and use them for etch.

Some questions:

  1.

      anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above

  2.

      What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
      vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm
      confused. Any good links on how to install this?

  3.

      How will I get that vmware to open the XP image – is it just a
      matter of File|Open?

  4.

      I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will
      installing it interfere with aptitude?

Thanks in advance

John

get the .rpm. Install kernel-package and alien. alien -c vmware.rpm <<as root (I think)

it will make a vmware.deb. Install with dpkg -i vmware.deb <<as root

run vmware-config.pl <<as root

This has always worked for me, no compilation isssues, no any-any-patches.

I have tried this on vmserver and vmworkstation 6~.

you can not legally download a vm of xp and run it (or rather the person providing the vm can't do it). If you have a corp. vm image, then you are golden. If you have XP install media, you can legally install it (MS treats vm machines the same as physical, you have to have the license for it and you can only use it once (or one at a time if you uninstall it/delete the vm)

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com