Re: vmware questions

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:13:58PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

>  However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by
>
> (1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers
> etc. for my hardware.)

vmware presents a different hardware to the vm than whats is on
your machine (becareful about drive controllers)

> (2) putting that vmware image on etch

vmware has some tool for converting a pc/server into a vm image.  I
would probably install a new copy

> (3) install vmware on etch
>
> (4) reformat the XP partitions, and use them for etch.

you can if you want run vmware against a native/raw partition, ie leave
XP on the partition and hand it over to vmware as a raw partition.  the
only problem is the change in hardware between linux/vmware/xp and
straight xp

>  Some questions:
>
>    1.
>
>    anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above
>    2.
>
>    What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
>    vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm confused. Any good
>    links on how to install this?
>    3.
>
>    How will I get that vmware to open the XP image ? is it just a matter of
>    File|Open?
>    4.
>
>    I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will installing it
>    interfere with aptitude?
open aptitude, press L for limit and type in vmware.  Work you way from
there. also you might want module assist.

There has been some issues with building the raw vmware-kernel-source,
so you might need to use the any-any package

--
	When the lodge meeting broke up, Meyer confided to a friend.
"Abe, I'm in a terrible pickle!  I'm strapped for cash and I haven't