Re: vmware questions

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:13:58PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:

[snip]

>  However, I now need to use an application, as part of a course I am doing,
>
> which only runs on Windows.
>

>  So, I've decided to put vmware on etch and run XP from that.

Exactly what I did (except on Lenny).

[snip]

>  However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by
>
> (1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers
> etc. for my hardware.)

Your hardware is not relevant.  VMWare fakes up different hardware for
guests.  This will mean that you'll have to activate Windows again.

[snip]

>    anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Converter is dead easy.  Just ignore the program's insistence that you boot
off a separate CD-ROM and go ahead and install it.

>    2.
>
>    What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
>    vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm confused. Any good
>    links on how to install this?

VMWare Workstation.

>    3.
>
>    How will I get that vmware to open the XP image ? is it just a matter of
>    File|Open?

On my box I used "vmplayer WinXPHome/WinXPHome.vmx"

>    4.
>
>    I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will installing it
>    interfere with aptitude?

No, it won't.  It isn't packaged because it isn't Free Software, but the
installer works fine under Lenny, at least.

It works great for me.  I've also got VirtualBox going on another computer,
and that also works and DOES have a Debian package, if you prefer.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!