Re: Clearing SWAP

2008/5/10 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
> On 09/05/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I really hope that this doesn't turn into a flame war. I respect your
>>  ideals. Please respect mine.
>
> Uhm.
>
> And what exactly are those ideals of yours? I haven't seen you express
> any. Wanting good code isn't an ideal, it's just the minimum
> expectation. Wanting freedom is an ideal.

I want a car that gets good gas mileage, good performance, and does
not cost much. I bought a 2008 Ford Focus.

I want a phone that is easy to use, supports simple calendar
functions, and has voice memo. I bought a Nokia 6288.

I want an OS that is stable, secure, and is easy to use. I use Debian.

I don't know whether or not my Focus pollutes. I'm certain that it
pollutes less than a Jeep, but the Prius folks would certainly hang
me. I don't care if my phone is GSM, TDMA, or CDMA. I don't even know
what the differences are. I don't care to see the source code of my
OS. I wouldn't even know what it meant if I did. That fact that I
_can_ see it if I want is nice and makes me feel more secure, but as
we've seen with the trojans being distributed in some official Firefox
builds, the fact that the code _can_ be reviewed does not mean that
the code _is_ being reviewed. I am grateful to the FOSS community that
they continually improve and build upon what has been done. I have
triaged many bugs, and filed many bugs, and files many RFE's which
have been implemented (not with Debian, but with KDE and Mozilla). But
that's not the reason that I use Debian. The reason that I use Debian
is what I said before: stability and security.

My ideal is studying and feeding my family. Debian lets me do that
better than any other OS that I've tried. Debian also fits your ideal
that software should be free. That's great. My Ford Focus fits some
people's ideal that cars should not excessively pollute. That's great.
My phone probably fits someone's ideal of something important. That's
great too.

I do not know if your intention in provoking me is to understand my
reasoning (possibly), to convince me to share your ideal (more
likely), or to troll (unlikely). Let me know what your intention is so
that I can better formulate my replies. Assuming that you are not
trolling (I don't think that you are), then know that I actually enjoy
conversation with intelegent people who make me think. Just don't get
started on politics.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il