Re: Which distro for workstations?

Hello Mike,

Am 2008-05-03 11:24:39, schrieb Mike Bird:
> Updating Testing workstations has proved to be much more
> time-consuming than expected.

ACK!

> In the last four months there have been approx 13,000
> package updates in Testing, of which approx 1,000
> applied to a typical workstation here.
>
> During the same period there were approx 800 package
> updates in Stable, of which approx 160 applied to a
> typical workstation here.

Are you sure, they where 800 updates in Stable?
I have checkd my security folder and it seems not.

> of Testing and Unstable.  In particular, xserver-xorg 7.3
> is only available in Unstable although Ubuntu is already
> shipping 7.3 in their long-term-support release.  We often
> have to use an Unstable kernel too, although that's not
> currently the case.

In this case, I would go with Debian/Stable and use a backport  for  the
Xserver-xorg which is available form <http://www.backports.org/> AFAIK.

> However I'm not keen on Ubuntu as I find some of their
> ideas quirky and I'm concerned about limited security
> updates for their Universe.

I can not recommend any Ubuntu versions since I have  already  customers
which used X/K/Ubuntu and went sevral times pissed of on upgrades...

> We could (a) continue using Debian Testing, or (b) try
> Ubuntu (again), or (c) ... ?

I suggest you to use Debian/Stable and some seleced Backports.

For the Kernel:  Since I know the hardware of  my  customers,  the  used
Kernels are build individualy per customer from automated scripts and of
of course without initrd or dependence hell from unstable...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)