Newbie Basic Networking. Using Hostnames

I recently installed Debian at two home PC’s. Both are connected to an ADSL modem through which Internet is accessed.

All network configurations were made by Debian at installation time. I’m able to ping each machine from each other but by its IP address. However, I don't get any results if I ping by the use of host names.

What am I missing?

Thanks in adbvance an regards