Re: Can't see characters in xserver-xorg

José L. Ayala wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Yesterday, after an upgrade of my testing system, I rebooted the machine
> and
> I wasn't able to log in the X environment. I cannot see my login in gdm
> because characters are displayed as "little squares"; the same happens in
> gnome. I tried to generate a new xorg.conf from an old version, and I even
> tried the gtf tool to calculate the refreshment frequencies for the
> monitor,
> but nothing worked. I also tried the "stable" version of xserver-xorg but,
> in that case, the X environment didn't work. For your information, my
> graphics card is an intel one.
>
> Please, do you have any new idea? thanks a lot!

i have exactly the same problem.  my video is an intel 965.

some else comments that it appears to be a font problem, but I don't think
so.  Icons appear wrong too - in particular what it looks like is that
transparency doesn't work and the result is either black or white.  Using
kdm, the central area kdm puts up is white with an enormous black border -
so whilst all the text is actually white blobs that is what makes me think
it is the video driver

--
Alan
(via webmail - means I am away from my computer)