Re: Can't see characters in xserver-xorg

Le decadi 20 floréal, an CCXVI, Alan Chandler a écrit :
> some else comments that it appears to be a font problem, but I don't think
> so.  Icons appear wrong too - in particular what it looks like is that
> transparency doesn't work and the result is either black or white.  Using
> kdm, the central area kdm puts up is white with an enormous black border -
> so whilst all the text is actually white blobs that is what makes me think
> it is the video driver

The recent upgrade of xserver 1.3 to 1.4 changed the 2D acceleration
framework, that may be what you are experiencing.

The very first thing to do is test with a simple environment. Which means
neither Gnome nor KDE. I advise to shut down any display manager, log in on
the console, and then:

X & sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:0 xterm &

Then you can do some basic tests, especially between X11 fonts and Xft
fonts:

xfd -fn fixed
xfd -fa serif

As for me, I can tell that the current version of xserver works for me, but
I do not use neither KDE nor Gnome, nor any compositing manager, and I
upgraded (in /opt) to version 2.3.0 of the intel driver to get overlay video
(and a small custom patch to get it full screen), so this is no proof. It
seems that xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.3.0 is available in experimental.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George