Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

>> The problem isn't the manpage author, it's your setup.
>>
>> Specifically, you're using a locale that sports UTF-8 encoding, but
>
> wrong.  Lang=C.  I don't have any locales installed.  This is regular
> stock VT (no fonts, etc).

Well, let's put it this way.  Create a text file named "test.1"
containing the following:

.TH TEST "1"
.SH NAME
test \- it's elementary

Now, run "man -l test.1".  Does your fontless, stock VT show an ASCII
apostrophe or a little block?

If it shows a block, your setup is broken, no matter what LANG is set
to.

If it shows an ASCII apostrophe, I would be grateful if you could send
me the name of a stock Debian manpage that shows a block instead of an
apostrophe (preferably with its owning package name and version, if
you aren't using plain Etch).  I would very much like to track down
the problem and file bug reports on the offending manpages.

Thanks.

--
Kevin Buhr <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>