Re: hard drive problems

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 10:17:23AM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 06:08:47PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:33:19PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 07:10:34AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > >

> > [snip]

> > > First, ensure you have good recent backups.
> > >
> > > Then install smartmontools and run a long S.M.A.R.T. test and check the
> > > results.
> > >
> > > Why did you recently buy new drives?  If it was because old drives
> > > failed, they may have damaged the controller and you're seeing
> > > controller failure instead of drive failure.
> >
> > upgraded drives 500G -> 1TB. This is one drive of a raid1 md. and I have
> > onsite and off site backups.
> >
> > I just want to make sure its sdb not sda
>
> You snipped so much, I forget what the problem was.  IIRC, you had drive
> errors showing up in syslog on an ata controller and you didn't know
> which drive was the culprit.
sorry and yes

> Since its raid, see what the raid status is.  Does it show an active
> raid with two copies synced, or does it show degraded status.  mdadm
> should email you with a problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.

my main question was weather ata2 == sdb and ata1 == sda seems like it
does

My raid set was okay, when the machine hanged and was reboot, the would
be a resync

> If you have a third hard drive as a spare, you could add it to the
> array, let it sync, then remove on of the origional drives and see if
> the error goes away.
got another one replaced it and reseated the sata cable.  Came back to
me i had problems in this drive bay before - loose cable! (hopefully not
the control), but this is one of those boxes that I have had problems
with from the beginning

Thanks