Re: System Hang-up during boot

>     * From: Don Wood <dwood@aiserv.net>
>there must be a way of starting the system in a way where I can look
>at a log or perform some tests to determine what has happened.

You can try "single user mode" or "recovery mode" o something like that
in the menu of your boot loader (grub, I supppose, if your machine is
i386 or amd64). If even that fails, try adding init=/bin/bash at the end
of the kernel commandline in the boot loader.

Then the logs are in /var/log/ (if /var is mounted; if not: mount /var)

If you are not familiar with the boot loader, and the way of editing the
kernel commandline in the boot loader, see

   Linkname: GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
especially "12.3 Editing a menu entry"